A burglar alarm system is designed to detect unauthorized intrusion into a building or area. They are used in residential, commercial, industrial, and governmental properties for protection against theft, property damage, intruders.
Some burglar alarm systems have a single purpose of solely burglary protection, while other burglar alarm systems provide both fire and intrusion protection. Intrusion alarm systems can be combined with CCTV surveillance systems to automatically record the activities of intruders and access control systems for electrically locked doors.
Burglar alarm systems range from small, self-contained noisemakers to complicated systems with computer monitoring.
Burglar Alarm Components
A typical burglar alarm security system includes the following components:
- A panel that reads sensor inputs, tracks arm/disarm status, and signals intrusions.
- Sensors that detect intrusions by monitoring doors and windows for opening or unoccupied interiors for motions, sound, vibration, or other disturbances.
- Alerting devices that indicate an alarm condition through bells, sirens, and/or flashing lights.
- Keypads that function as the interface to the system.
- Interconnections between components that include direct wiring to the control unit or wireless links with local power supplies.
- Passive infrared detectors
- Ultrasonic detectors
- Microwave detectors
- Passive magnetic field detection
- Vibration or inertia sensors
- Photo-electric beams
- Glass break detectors
- Smoke, heat, and carbon monoxide detectors
- Taut wire fence systems
In addition to the local burglar alarm system itself, security alarms are often coupled with a monitoring service. In the event of an alarm, the panel contacts a central monitoring station, where operators see the signal and contact property owners, notifying police, or dispatching private security forces. The signal may be transmitted through a dedicated alarm circuits, by telephone lines, or by the Internet.
Several different sensor types can be used within the burglar alarm system, including:
Each burglar alarm system can be customized for the individual needs of the location. For a free consultation on what burglar alarm system would work for you, contact us today.
Lic # EF0000051